Tuesday 29 May 2012

Reviews: Internet Ovulation Tests/Strips

To kick off the week I have a new review!  It kind of ties into my last review and controversy over "cheap" test strips.  For the purposes of this review I am using:



Where to but Internet tests strip
These are Internet strips which can be bought with a credit card via the Early-Pregnancy-Test website. I chose this site in particular due to suggestions from other TTCers and it seems to be the most trusted and popular site to buy both pregnancy and ovulation tests. 


Costs
The tests can be bought individual or in large numbers.  Here is a grid for the pricing of the tests:

1 - 9 tests $1.10 each
10 - 19 tests $1.06 each
20 - 49 tests $0.90 each
50 - 99 tests $0.60 each
100 - or more tests $0.55 each

As you can see the more you buy, the cheaper they are - even as low as .55cents per test.   Tests are no more then $1.10 per test.  I had gotten a promotional pack which includes: 25 ovulation tests and 10 pregnancy tests for $24.95 - this deal can be found here.

Shipping is free on orders over $14.99 and $2.99 for orders otherwise.


What you receive
My package took about a week to get here.  I am in Canada and this order is from a USA company.  International orders take longer due to customs etc. When i received my package it was in a plain envelope with discrete labelling (the return address simple says "Online Store".  The whole package looks something like this upon arrival (minus the fact i have opened mine):


Inside was the strips, an instruction sheet on both tests, brochures: on other fertility products, receipt/summary of order, and a special gift: a cute collectors tattoo {apparently they come out with a new one on a monthly basis}
[sorry despite best efforts this pic wouldn't rotate]

[photo borrowed from the Early Pregnancy Tests Website]


Test Details
Each tests comes individually wrapped in foil with an expiration date clearly written on the package alone with the type of test {hcg or Lh}. The tests are very light weight and have a width of 5milimeters.  The tests are 99.9% accurate in predicting an LH surge.


Using the test
When TTCing many women are aware of their cycle lengths.  This can help determine when to starting testing for LH (the hormone used to determine imminent ovulation).  For me i began on CD 16 however i would have started on the CD15 (i received my order on the CD 16). 

The testing process was extremely easy:
1) Collect Urine in specimen cup (i used a clean dixie cup) - Collection is best between 10am-8pm.  For multiple collection days, you should collect urine at same time each day.  The test page says to reduce liquid intake 2 hours prior so the test is diluted. DO NOT collect first morning urine. 
2) remove test from foil package and drop into urine but not past the MAX line, strip can be removed after 5 seconds and lay on flat surface
3) results can appear in as little as 40 seconds but a full 10 mins wait is recommended.  There is a great video on the company's website showing this process here.


Results
As in any Ovulation Test - a positive result is indicated when both control and test lines are of equal colour, OR when the test line is darker then the control line.   A negative would include: no test line, faint test line, test line being lighter then the control line. 

Here is 5 of my own test strips over a period of 4 days:


This is what my results tell me.... My test line became darker and darker from CD 16-18 with CD 18 having the darkest line AND nearly being a positive.  Real life [aka the weekend] took over me and i did not test on CD 19. When i went to test on CD 20 the line was light and almost gone.  This tells me the LH surge is over, and I had ovulated.   I believe i had a positive test later in the day on CD 18 [yes you CAN get a negative earlier and a positive later/ viseverssa] or on CD 19.   Either way I ovulated thereafter.

Ovulation generally occurs 24-48 AFTER you get your positive OPK results.  Saving tests is good for comparison.

Now that I have this information I can use it with my Fertility Chart:
**yes I'm slacking with my temping but Bubzer totally stole my BBT and I have a feeling it ended up in the garbage** but i usually O around CD 18.  Hubby and I had sex on CD 16-19 so I'm hoping this might be it :)  You can see my OPK results listed on the last line. 
My final thoughts
I am a fan of theses tests.  I would use them again and recommend them to a friend. They definitely have my as a future customer.

Pros
- east to use/read
- individual packaging
- variety packs offer great choices for ovulation/pregnancy test combos
- can save for comparison
- reliable
- free gift with purchase
- CHEAP pricing *like*like*like*
- free shipping on orders over $14.99

Cons
- i needed the tests prior to the day i got them - however i am international and should have ordered sooner
- no options for package tracking (and if you were a spaz like me you'd probably check every day!
- credit card needed for orders
- must test several times to get a clear picture - this is a con of ALL OPKs not just this sites


** info taking through my experience using the Early-Pregnancy-Tests.com products via their website and info packages included with the product**

**personal experiences from my own views only and should be seen strictly as personal opinion.  I can not speak for anyone else using these products**

Links

2 comments:

  1. OHHHH and i forgot to add.... look for an update later this week on my TTC journey, Pregnancy testing sometime this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Post!!Keep it up!! Ovulation test kit helps women to predict ovulation date easily and know the most fertile time of their menstrual cycle. One should test every day from Day 7 at the same time of the day to ensure the most accurate results.

    ReplyDelete