Thursday 10 May 2012

Being a mom..part 1

"Being a young mom means we met a little early, but I get to love you a little longer. Some people said my life ended when I had a baby, but my life had just begun. You didn't take away from my future you gave me a new one."

Some may have seen this posted on FB, twitter or else where but it is indeed true for me.  Your supposed to also post the age you became a mom.  For me I was 16.

Let me paint you a picture: 15 years old, intelligent {in high school course for the academically inclined}, member of the students council spirit squad, avid participant in school events, slightly rebellious, dark haired, tanned, lovely in many respects and a dancer.   Sure I didn't always do what my parents told me but over all i was a GOOD kid.  Seriously most parents dream of having a child like this. My mom however didn't agree {i bet she's thinking this now that she has a teenager growing up in the 2010's} she tried to put so many restrictions on me - and as a result I didn't tell her stuff, she kinda ruined the bond needed in a teen aged females life.  I can literally count on one hand how many "bad" parties i went to as a teen, however i cant count how many good positive experiences i had (ie. volunteer work, academic related activities, sports etc).  She should have just let me live a little!!!!  It would probably prevented my having a baby at such a young age.   I would never EVER regret having my son however I did miss out on being a kid.  I didn't go to prom, dropped my extra curricular activities but it a larger sense I prepared for the birth of my son.  

I was 15 - his father was 19.   He was NOT the one i lost my virginity too.  We were in a relationship.  He was older and therefor cooler then I was {or so my teen brain though}.  Condoms were used but failed.  I missed 2 periods and didn't notice.  Then i kinda joked about being pregnant but i didn't actually believe it!!!  One night i was feeling mildly nauseous and my mom said "What... are you pregnant?" She was also kidding.  I don't really remember but i think i said something like... "I don't know".   Well she raced to the pharmacy and got a test. She left as i took it.  I sat on the stairs and waited for her to get home.  The test instantly showed no doubt about it results.  It was a shock! A SHOCK! my mom says she wasn't shocked however my dad sure was.  In the coming months i still went to school, still took phys-ed till i couldn't run anymore. I broke up with his dad just before i found out i was pregnant and we did not get back together with him despite his efforts.  I did however talk to him and hang out with him, i allowed him to be part of this baby.  I saved all my money and bought mostly second hand clothes and other baby needs.  When it came time I did have everything i needed for him, i took the classes, i had a plan..sort of....

I still remember his birth almost 10 years ago!  I normally watched my sister and brother while my mom worked nights.  On this particular night she was prepping to leave, it was around 11pm, I had some back discomfort but thought it to be normal back pain related to pregnancy.  I tried to lay down but the discomfort persisted.  I scoured the net for labour symptoms and talked to baby's dad on the phone.  I started to realize that maybe this was labour.  Around 2-3am the pain was getting intense and i had started writing the times down.   I didn't want to call my mom, i thought she would be mad at me for disturbing her at work for false labour.  She must have heard my thoughts cause she called {she didn't normally check in} and i told her i "think" it might be something.   She insisted on coming home anyways, i was relieved.  By the time my mom had a sitter for the kids and we had my stuff loaded into the car the pain was becoming intense.  After intake and assessment it was determined i was 4cm dilated.  The next few hours are a blur, i wanted a non-drug birth so i was in a lot of pain, the nurse made me walk, i began wanting pain meds but it was too late for an epi and all they could offer was a little morphine {it did not a damn thing}.  I was sitting in the bathroom when the nurses deemed me ready to push.  I pushed.... seemed like hours but he was eventually born on the morning of August 13, 2002, 2 days after my due date. He was perfect at 8lbs 3oz and came out screaming!  Back then we didn't have digi cameras and all the photos i have aren't on the computer.  Brendan was nameless for almost 2 weeks! One thing i had hard time with was picking a name for him.  He was in the hospital for almost 2 weeks with sever jaundice.   He spent the first week in an incubator :( i didn't even hold him much.   I would sit in the NICU and look at him, i was allowed to put my hand in to touch him.  

Here's an olden day web cam pic of him approx 1-2wks old:

Him when he was a toddler
And finally here is is today at the ripe old age of 9.8

They really truly grow up fast.  Ive learned a lot through having him so early and wouldn't change a thing.  His looks like his dad, he loves lego and can be very troublesome as his aged suggests.  His dad isn't a big part of his life and they see each a few times a year.  His dad doesn't make an effort to call and when he does visit i have to take him and pick him up.   He does see his grandparent on his dads side and they adore him but the visits are few.   His dad doesn't help much and there is court ordered child support however i rarely receive it.  Some would say...at least he sees/knows his dad at all... at the same time it can be very unfair to Brendan.   Brendan is very close to my dad and "papa" is the biggest male influence he has had in his life.   Overall id say he is a happy child none the less.   One other notable quality is that he has some pretty severe learning disabilities, you'd never know by talking/looking at him.  He is dyslexic and has trouble with reading and writing at his own grade level.  We work hard on this.  I can hardly believe that this year i will have a 10 year old!  My baby will be a whole decade old!! Such a milestone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment